2-4-6-8, a mascot we’d appreciate

Bradley Denison: The Signal

Hook ‘em Horns. Gig ‘em Aggies. Axe ‘em Jacks, Sic ‘em Kats, Go Coogs. All public undergraduate degree-granting institutions in this state have rally cries and mascots, except for one.

The four universities within the Texas State University System, the nine within the Texas A&M University system, the nine universities within the University of Texas System, and both of the universities within the Texas Tech University System all have mascots.

These institutions all have a shared sense of identity. There is only one academic university in Texas that can make no such claim. University of Houston-Clear Lake needs a mascot.

This university is traditionalizing. The average student age has decreased in the past five years as the number of  students between the ages of 20 and 23 has increased. As students are graduating high school with more college credits than their predecessors, more students are eligible for admission to this exclusively upper-level university than ever in the past.

Next year, UHCL will approach the Texas Legislature to seek approval for downward expansion. If approved, the university will begin admitting students to take lower-level classes in 2012, negating the need for students to attend another college prior to enrollment at UHCL.

Orientation and new student programs will grow to ease the transition of not only those students new to UHCL, but also new to the college experience. These students will expect what their peers across the state already have: an identity.

“Blockie,” the university’s unofficial mascot, created by a group of students longing for an identity during Blast Off Week more than a decade ago, is our only symbol of belonging.

Mascots are derived most often from local industry or indigenous wildlife.

As a university in the fourth largest city in the nation, there is no lack of industry. Houston is known across the globe for two of its industries, aerospace technology and petrochemical production. Evident by the warning signs at campus entrances, there is also no lack of wildlife. Sitting on a 524-acre wildlife and nature preserve, UHCL is home to many species of animals.

UHCL has numerous signs on campus warning of the presence of alligators – the chosen mascot of University of Houston-Downtown. University of Houston and University of Houston-Victoria are both symbolized as species of large cats: Cougars and Jaguars respectively.

While most mascots are traditionally associated with sports programs, which we do not have,  we still need a mascot. UHCL students are able to complete their degrees at an institution that is focused on the quality of academic instruction and student development, instead of the need to fund a costly athletic program. Our new mascot need not be ferocious. It should not aim to devastate another school. It should simply capture who we are as an institution.

Thirty-six years and more than 51,000 degrees awarded since opening its doors, it’s time for UHCL to claim its identity and give Blockie a friend.

16 Comments
  1. Kelley says

I’ve re-thought this. We should be the Bucks, because we have so many deer

2. Kelley says

I’m a big fan of “The Hurricanes”. Although, doing something like Rice did, using an owl as a mascot because owls are smart, would also be nice. We shouldn’t duplicate what any other college in this region uses though.

3. Ian Curtis says

MONGOOSES. MONGEESE. However that plural form is said, I think that’s a pretty original wonderfulness. Seriously, everyone loves Rikki-Tiki-Tavi…

4. Mike says

How about the Lakers? It seems like an obvious choice given the name of the university.

5. Nick says

Although “blockie” is an unofficial mascot,..it is a pretty lame one, and I think that the school would be better of with a more “attractive” mascot. It is true that we are surrounded by wild life, however, as was stated before, the alligator is taken by UH-D ( Ed the Edugator). I wouldn’t mind the mascot being either The Owls, The Armadillo, or The Bandits (referring to the Raccoons) I think I like “The Bandits”! It would be great to have an official sports team to go along with the official mascot! It is such a waste to have a tennis court, and a gorgeous field and not be able to REALLY take advantage of it!

6. Ace1cx2 says

Cant we all just be fans of our main/mother campus – GO Cougars!!!

7. UHCL Archives says

Though “formally adopted”, the little-known, long-forgotten, mysterious Hurricanes logo very quickly disappeared. Shortly after the university selected it, there were other major events happening in university history. President Stauffer left; President Goerke arrived. The (formally very active) intramural sports died out. The Developmental Arts Building (with racquetball courts, gym, and experimental dance theater) underwent renovations to become the Delta Building. And as far as we can tell, the “Hurricanes” never even saw the light of day.

The UHCL Archives has been unable to find a single item ever printed with the logo.

So it’s time for the University to decide whether a mascot is necessary or desired and why. In the meantime – we do have the fun-loving Student Life “Blockie”. Have you seen the fun they’re having on their Facebook page getting ready for I <3 UHCL Day next week?

8. Shannon says

I think UHCL should have sports team of some sort, something to create comradery and then the university together can decide on an official mascot. That may be why there has not been that big of an uproar to create an official mascot and if the Hurricane was our official mascot, that would be printed on our t-shirts and on other items sold at the Bookstore. If that is our Mascot then let it be known, not hidden away in the library and made into a mystery.

There are lots of atheletic folks on this campus. We could have a tennis team first and see how that works, or a soccor team. We have a field and tennis court. Let’s use them!

9. Corey Benson says

And, the winner is “Hurricanes.”

10. Anonymous says

What was it, what was it? An egret? A hurricane? A cube? Tell us!

11. Webmaster says

Unfortunately, The Signal’s/UHCLIDIAN’s online archives only go back to March 1997, so that particular article can’t be accessed online. However, the paper’s older archives can be found in the Neumann Library (Bayou Building, Room 2402), or in the Student Publications Office (Bayou Building, Room 1239).

12. Anonymous says

Where does one go to view said archive?

13. UHCL Archives says

Actually, we DO have an official mascot. Check out the UHCLidian, Dec 3, 1990.

14. Aaron Herridge says

What would it take to get the school to start working on establishing a formal mascot?

While it’s a shame that UH-D grabbed up the alligator already, I think another great one would be The Beavers. Nearby Burnett Elementary of PISD uses the Beaver for a mascot, and popular Texas convenience store chain Buc-ees uses a Beaver for a logo. Why not have a Buc-ee the Beaver mascot, maybe even as part of a partnership with the chain business Buc-ees?

“The Beavers” is not such a terrible mascot, and the accompanying logo could even show a benevolent-looking beaver that has its tail ready in a defensive posture to show strength. Beavers, relevant in bayou systems, are a great symbol for the Bayou City and the Clear Lake area.

15. Webmaster says

Too funny!

16. Anonymous says

Too bad the paper’s name has changed. Think of the posssibilities…

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.