UHCL The Signal
The official student newspaper of the University of Houston-Clear Lake

Staff member hosts ‘fun-raiser’ for animals at Houston SPCA

Through no fault of their own, some will be spending this holiday season alone in a cage with nothing but the fur on their backs. One full-time UHCL staff member is extending the spirit of giving to the animals at the Houston SPCA with a Cause for Paws “fun-raiser.”

Bansari Moffe, international secretary for the Office of International Admissions and Programs, is making sure the animals at the Houston SPCA are feeling the love this holiday season by collecting toys, treats, blankets and bedding. Anyone wanting to donate items can drop them off in the donation bin, set up outside the Office of International Admissions and Programs located in Bayou Building Room 2123, through Dec. 14. Moffe asks that no rawhide bones or chews be donated as the Houston SPCA cannot accept them.

Moffe and her husband, Anthony, a project manager for Drake Controls, will personally deliver the collected items the weekend after the drive closes so the animals can enjoy their new toys and beds by Christmas.

The Moffe’s were inspired to give back to animals who are still waiting for their forever homes by the unconditional love their Siberian Husky, Emi, shows them daily.

Photo: Anthony and Bansari Moffe creators of Cause for Paws, with Emi, their Siberian Husky.
Anthony and Bansari Moffe, creators of Cause for Paws, with Emi, their Siberian Husky. Photo courtesy of Bansari Moffe.

“My husband and I are fortunate enough to be able to provide for her a warm, comfortable home with as many treats, toys, blankets and love that she can handle in return for the unconditional love that she showers us with, day in and day out,” Bansari Moffe said.

The Moffe’s decided that instead of buying each other gifts for Christmas, they would extend that love to the animals at the Houston SPCA.

“We are taking the money we would have spent on those gifts to provide the animals with the joy of play, the delight of treats and the comfort of a warm bed,” Bansari Moffe said.

The Houston SPCA is the city’s largest animal protection organization and shelter. The Houston SPCA services include sheltering, admissions, adoption, cruelty investigations, found animals, disaster relief, etc.

Those who want to help but cannot donate material items or money are encouraged to make a commitment to donate time as a volunteer.

“The act of simply walking a dog or cuddling with a cat can enrich their day,” said Kerry McKeel, director of communications for the Houston SPCA.

Because of the amount of training required, the Houston SPCA does not offer one-time volunteer opportunities for individuals.

McKeel also suggests fostering an animal during the holidays as a way of giving back if adopting is not an option at this time.

“Temporarily fostering an animal can give them a nice vacation from the shelter and the opportunity to experience a home during the holidays,” McKeel said.

The Houston SPCA provides foster training and covers all expenses associated with caring for a foster animal, including feeding and medical expenses.

To find out more information about the Houston SPCA and ways to volunteer visit their website at http://www.houstonspca.org.