UHCL The Signal
Student Publications Office
University of Houston-Clear Lake
2700 Bay Area Blvd., Box 456
Houston, TX 77058
MESSAGE FROM THE DEAN OF STUDENTS
As we begin the semester, the university recognizes that many of you may have experienced extreme loss due to Hurricane Harvey. We understand this may be a difficult time for you and family, but also know that we are here to help you in this time of need. We want to inform you of several financial resources that may be available to you, should you qualify or need them.
- Students should apply for financial aid. Most students will be able to apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Non-U.S. Citizens but Texas Residents should complete the Texas Application for State Financial Aid. After completing the form, you may receive requests for additional documentation via your UHCL email account.
- International students, Non-Texas Residents should complete the Texas Public Educational Grant Program Application for International Students.
- Students currently enrolled for the fall 2017 semester who were affected by Hurricane Harvey may be eligible to receive assistance through the Dean of Students Emergency Loan for tuition or school supplies. The Dean of Students Emergency Loan will only account for 25 percent of your tuition/fee bill of which is the initial payment for the Short Term Loan. The normal $15 fee for the tuition loan is being waived. Students may also request a school supply loan up to $500. Those applying may only choose one of these options. The request form can be found at https://uhcl.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aVoRphg2M8eM2BT and any questions should be submitted to [email protected]. If approval is granted for either loan option, visit the Student Business Services Office (Student Services Classroom Building, 1.103) to make final arrangements.
- For students who have experienced a loss of employment, increased medical costs, or the death of a wage earner, the student can complete a Special Circumstances Form. The completed form along with supporting documentation should be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid.
- For students who have experienced extreme loss due to a natural disaster, i.e. house, car, etc. Please complete the Financial Aid Disaster Consideration Form. The completed form along with any, and all necessary documentation should be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid. The Office of Financial Aid and the Dean of Students Office will coordinate this process. Students will be reviewed for additional financial aid and the Hawk Emergency Fund.
Each application will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. As funds become available, students will be awarded.
Be sure to also continually check the UHCL homepage under the Harvey FAQs link for updated information and resources.
Also published on Medium.