About The Signal
The Signal newspaper is published by students enrolled in the Media Production class at the University of Houston-Clear Lake. The newspaper provides a public forum for students, faculty and staff at UHCL in special print editions and online weekly editions at UHCLTheSignal.com.
The mission of the University of Houston-Clear Lake student newspaper, The Signal, is to inform, educate and engage our audience.
As a student newspaper, it is primarily a medium of communication for students, and we encourage all students to participate in this communication. Consistent with the shared governance philosophy of this university, it is also our goal to provide a forum to which all constituents of the university community have access.
At a secondary level, it provides an opportunity for students who participate in newspaper publication to gain expertise in journalistic writing, editing, photography, videography, social media and computer technology.
Rules & Policies
Letters to the editor must be under 500 words and will be published exactly as they are submitted. Letters will not be edited before publication and the editor reserves the right to refuse publication. All letters will be credited to the contributor, who will be identified by his or her full name. The Signal does not publish anonymous letters.
To submit a letter to the editor, email email@example.com (you can also use the contact form in the sidebar to the right) and include your full name, email address, mailing address, relationship with the university and a telephone number you would prefer to be contacted by, if necessary. The Signal will not publish any personal information other than the author’s full name and relationship to the university.
Address Letters To:
Student Publications Office
University of Houston-Clear Lake
2700 Bay Area Blvd., Box 456
Houston, TX 77058
Email Letters To:
Rules of Conduct
The Signal newspaper is a public forum for constituents of the University of Houston-Clear Lake. The editorial freedom of student editors implies a responsibility to the avoidance of libel, obscenity, undocumented allegations and techniques of harassment and innuendo. All postings on this website are moderated by The Signal staff in accordance with that responsibility.
Rules of Conduct for Comments
- We encourage community members to have open and candid discussions and debates. We will not censor members for expressing an opinion within the limits of these rules of conduct.
- Anyone posting to the Community Bulletin Board must be a verifiable member of the university community.
- Individuals commenting on The Signal’s website or posting comments to the bulletin board may not be anonymous.
- Please remember to treat each other with respect and consideration for all points of view. This is a public venue read by many people of all ages, from around the world, spanning all walks of life.
- Comments and contributions to comment threads should be relevant to the discussion topic.
- Posts deemed the following are subject to removal: unlawful; libelous; slanderous; deceitful; harassing; obscene; pornographic; threatening; or posts that are hateful toward an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age or disability.
- The Signal website may not be used to post, transmit or provide hyperlinks or pointers to material that is knowingly false or defamatory; misleading; inaccurate; abusive; harassing; obscene; or that contains hate speech directed at any individual or group; that is invasive of any person’s privacy; or that otherwise violates any law or promotes any kind of criminal activity.
- The Signal comment thread may not be used to advertise or promote businesses, products or services.
- The Signal website may not be used to post material that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights without the express permission of the owner(s) of said copyright, trademark or other proprietary right.
Rules of Conduct for Bulletin Board Postings
- Anyone posting to the bulletin board must be a verifiable member of the university community.
- The bulletin board may be used to advertise personal belongings (books, computers, cars, etc.) for sale to other members of the university community; to request roommates; to establish study groups; to post help wanted ads; to announce meetings, events or new course listings; or for other purposes relating to the university, subject to editorial approval.
- The bulletin board may not be used to advertise or promote commercial businesses, products or services.
- The bulletin board may not be used to post articles or present unproven allegations against an individual or office.
- Bulletin board postings will be published exactly as they are submitted. Postings will not be edited before publication and the editor reserves the right to refuse publication.
Contact The Signal
Email The Staff
Submit Bulletin Board Post
All UHCL students, faculty and staff members may submit posts for the Community Bulletin Board.