Hawks have heart at Spirit Week

I Heart UHCL Day was underway at noon, Oct. 11, 2017.
Students pose to show school spirit at I Heart UHCL Day. From left to right: Samar Farooqui, business management major, Sara Samaan, education major, Sandy Samaan, biology major, Kavita Ramnath, chemistry major. Photo by The Signal reporter Becky Shafter

I Heart UHCL Day was underway at noon, Oct. 11, as a part of Spirit Week — a variety of events and activities aimed at school spirit and campus pride.

School pride radiated throughout the halls at this year’s I Heart UHCL Day. The smiles on the faces of students, faculty and staff were contagious as upbeat music, laughter, cheering and chatting filled Atrium II.

Enthusiastic students show their school pride at 2017 I Heart UHCL Day. Photo by The Signal reporter Becky Shafter.

I Heart UHCL Day was underway at noon, Oct. 1, as a part of Spirit Week — a variety of events and activities aimed at promoting school spirit and campus pride.

There was no lack of spirit or pride as the school colors permeated the atrium. Blue and green lanterns hung overhead and bouquets of blue and green balloons encircled the room.

David Rachita, dean of students, mingled with students and faculty while enjoying the festivities.

“Seeing all of the blue and green and all the school pride is fantastic,” Rachita said. “I Heart UHCL Day adds next level school spirit. Go Hawks.”

Andrew Reitberger, director of student life, said that the whole Student Life Office was involved in the coordinating and organizing of this event.

“Efforts had to start early to reserve the space, find judges and decorate,” Reitberger said. “How well participation is speaks to amazing students, staff and faculty.”

Patrick Cardenas, assistant director of student life – organizations and activities, and his team were an integral part of organizing I Heart UHCL Day.

“Activities are centered around our colors, and the love and respect we share for colors as a part of our brand,” Cardenas said. “In the future, we may roll out different methods for expanding Spirit Week and athletics. This is the starting point of what’s to come for Spirit Week.”

Payal Rajpurehit, computer science major, poses with Hunter the Hawk at this year's I Heart UHCL Day. Photo by The Signal reporter Becky Shafter.
Payal Rajpurehit, computer science major, is all smiles with Hunter the Hawk. Photo by The Signal reporter Becky Shafter.

Makayla Ellis, student associate for student organizations and activities in the Student Life Office, was part of the team that organized this year’s I Heart UHCL Day.

“My favorite part is getting to see a lot of students interacting together; it doesn’t get to happen very often.” Ellis said.

Representatives from student organizations manned booths that offered information about their organization and an activity to play. For a full list of all student organizations, visit the UHCL campus life website.

Some of the games included: cake walk, ring toss, basket toss, sandbag toss, giant Connect Four and giant Jenga.

Upon entering, everyone received a paper heart that was the I Heart UHCL Day pass. For every activity played, a hole punch was received. The more hole punches received, the more prizes that could be attained.

Some of the prizes included UHCL spirit t-shirts, bags and a 20 percent off Lyft coupon code.

There was also free popcorn and cold drinks for those who worked up an appetite while having fun.

At 3 p.m., everyone crowded around the Atrium II stairwell platform and patiently awaited the announcement of the contest winners for best decorated window, best decorated office, best decorated door and most spirited group.

For each category, there were two awards: popular vote and judged vote. The results for popular vote:

• Best Door — Office of Human Resources
  • Best Office — Office of Orientation and New Student Programs
  • Best Window — Office of Student Diversity Equity and Inclusion
  • Most Spirited Group — UHCL Spirit Squad

The results for the judged category:

• Best Door — Office of Human Resources
  • Best Window — Student Publications — The Signal

The Office of Human Resources (HR) won Best Door in both the judged and most popular vote categories. The theme of its decorations was “UHCL: Rising to the top.”

The Spirit Squad at this year's I Heart UHCL Day. Photo by The Signal reporter Becky Shafter
The winners of the Most Spirited Group was the UHCL Spirit Squad. From left to right: Angel Muniz, special education major, Valerie Mendoza, bilingual education major, Celeste Wood, accounting major, Danielle Deovlet, computer science major. Photo by The Signal reporter Becky Shafter.

Nichole Eslinger, executive director, said that the idea for their door came from Crystal Mathews, compensation analyst.

“The HR Office has competed in this contest for many years,” Eslinger said. “We are very ecstatic about our wins this year.”

The student newspaper, The Signal, won Best Window in the judged category. The theme of its decorated window was “Signal Things,” a spin-off of the hit TV show “Stranger Things.”

Troylon Griffin II., communication major, is new to UHCL and was involved in The Signal’s window decorating efforts.

“I didn’t know it is a tradition here,” Griffin said. “I am very glad to have been a part of it.”

The Office of Orientation and New Student Programs (ONSP) won the Best Office award in both the judged and most popular vote categories. Its office theme was “Moana” with the words “You are welcome here” across the entryway.

Tyler Hall, coordinator of ONSP, said that he has only been on campus a few months, and that it is important to him to build a connection with first-year students and everyone on campus.

Patrick Cardenas, Assistant Director of Student Life for organizations and activities, poses in front of the winning window for best decorated window in the judged category. Photo by The Signal reporter Becky Shafter.

“We want to make everyone feel welcome here,” Hall said. “We have a tiny office, but we wanted its presence to be felt across campus.”

The Office of Student Diversity Equity and Inclusion (SDEI) won the Best Window award in the most popular vote category. The theme of its window was “Horton Hears a Who,” with the quote from the popular Dr. Suess book “A person is a person no matter how small.”

Arturo Perez, biological science major and student ambassador for SDEI, accepted the award on behalf of the office.

“The whole office worked as a team,” Perez said. “A lot of work went into place to find the right picture, create the artwork and cut out all the small pieces. I am very proud of this win.”

Everyone who participated in the contests and everyone in attendance demonstrated a shared sense of identity, camaraderie and pride, but school spirit is a multifaceted concept with different meanings to different people.

Celeste Wood, accounting major, is captain of the Spirit Squad — winner of this year’s Most Spirited Group award.

“To me school spirit means being involved, being a family and loving your school,” Wood said. “That is why I am a cheerleader.”

UHCL does not have a recognized sports team, so it is the mission of the Spirit Squad to promote positivity and spirit among students, staff, alumni and fans. This  includes cheerleading, dancing and involvement in the community to promote UHCL.

Representatives for the Hawk Academic Advising Councel are all smiles at this years I Heart UHCL Day. Photo by The Signal reporter Becky Shafter
Representatives for the Hawk Academic Advising Counsel are all smiles. Their booth had a “Charlie Brown” theme. Bernie Streeter, Senior Academic Advisor for the College of Education; Hein Franklin, Senior Academic Advisor for the College of Business. Photo by The Signal reporter Becky Shafter

Reitberger said that UHCL does not need a team to have spirit.

“To me it’s about loving your school and being proud,” Reitberger said.“We have a beautiful campus, small intimate classes and a neighborhood feeling.”

Cardenas said that he loves to see the school colors come alive in one room.

“School spirit is that sense of connection to the university that you chose to attend, and that connection produces a long-term relationship,” Cardenas said. “Because of the positive impact I had, I chose to come back for the purpose to expand my leadership skills. It is very important to the community to send the message of the institution — its mission and purpose — to educate the leaders of tomorrow.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.