UHCL The Signal
Student Publications Office
University of Houston-Clear Lake
2700 Bay Area Blvd., Box 456
Houston, TX 77058
On Nov. 7, the Student Life Council proposed a fee increase of one dollar to student services fees, which are currently set at $39 per credit hour with a maximum of six credit hours charged. The proposed increase would raise the maximum total fee for student services from $234 to $240 per semester.
The requested increase will be distributed as follows:
- Expanding psychiatry hours from 3 to 6 hours a week. This is said to cut the wait time for psychiatric services.
- Adding a case manager housed in counseling services to assist students who need social services such as food, housing or financial assistance.
- Adding one coordinator for organizations and activities to assist with the increased number of student organizations.
- Adding one Career Services Employer Relations Coordinator in Career Services to increase employer involvement with UHCL students.
- Adding two new The Signal Reporters, eight TheSignal Summer workers and four Signal phone lines.
Benefits of increase:
- Getting seven requests for a $6 increase per semester
- Stabilizing of student services division
- Increase in employer involvement on campus and job postings
- Increasing outreach to employers and involvement with UHCL students in areas of mentoring; job shadowing, internships and career events.
- Increased opportunities for future students.
UHCL’s SGA will hold a vote of support/non-support for the designated proposed fees. The meeting will take place on Tuesday, Nov. 14 at 11:30 am in the SSCB Lecture Hall.