SGA calls for students to be in SGA student senate

UHCL’s Student Government Association (SGA) is looking for an elected group of 25 students (3 undergraduates and 2 graduates from each college, and 3 undergraduates and 2 graduates from the Council of Organizations) to represent the student body. The applications for the positions are open until 1 p.m. Feb. 28 and the elections will run from March 27 to April 2.

The SGA is composed of internally selected representatives from each of the recognized student organizations. The four primary purposes of SGA are to be advocates for and speak on behalf of the students at large, provide input to university administration on student and organizational issues, appoint/elect students to university committees and allocate university funds to student organizations.

“SGA is crucial to the university because it does convey the needs of the students to administration,” said Justin Murphy, communication major and SGA president. “We are essentially the bridge between admin and the student body, and, because of this, things don’t just happen on campus without the input of the student voice. The students are what keep the university open, so therefore our voice must be heard in the on-goings of the university.”

Creating a student senate at UHCL was an idea that AJ Johnson, former SGA president of the 2016-2017 term and UHCL alumnus, brought to the university’s attention. Johnson knew how other universities’ student governments operated and wanted to bring a similar structure to UHCL.

“The benefits a senate brings to campus are greater awareness of SGA, better information dispersion to students, quicker/better knowledge of student issues through surveying by the senators and a unified student voice,” Johnson said.

The responsibilities of senators will include surveying students about academic needs or issues, act as a liaison between students and their respective college, meet with college faculty, attend SGA meetings every Tuesday and attend senate meetings that will occur one Thursday a month.

“Very few students outside of student organizations knew that SGA existed to be a support/advocate for them and their concerns,” Johnson said. “The development of the senate unifies students under one structure specifically to help them be heard.”

Murphy thinks that being a senator will provide great networking opportunities with faculty and staff.

“It will allow [students] to add something of great value to their resume,” Murphy said. “It’s also a great way for students to have a say in what happens on campus.”

With the SGA Student Senate being a new branch of SGA at UHCL, the 25 student representatives can help their peers better understand the benefits of what SGA can do for them and the campus.

“It will benefit the university greatly,” Johnson said. “ Not only will SGA start to field more academic related issues, but it will be a great opportunity to expose SGA to more students. The ultimate goal is to expose students to the benefits of SGA and knowing there is a student-led support system for them.”

To apply, students can find the applications on the SGA forms page, or pick up an application in the SGA office (SSCB 1.204). Students must have a cumulative 3.0 GPA, plan to be enrolled at UHCL until spring of 2019 and want their voices to be heard.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.